Founded in 2004, the Dayton International Peace Museum raises awareness of nonviolent strategies for achieving peace now and in the future. The Dayton International Peace Museum was founded by J. Frederick Arment, Ralph and Christine Dull, Steve Fryburg and Lisa Wolters. It honors the 1995 Dayton Peace Accords that ended war in Bosnia. Its mission is to inspire a local, national, and international culture of peace.
People cannot be expected to end disputes peacefully if they have never learned nonviolent alternatives. Yet, few places exist for the sole purpose of teaching people—especially children—nonviolent approaches to conflict resolution. A peace museum fills this void.
Located in downtown Dayton, the Museum is housed in the Isaac Pollack House, a three-story structure built in 1876 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Incorporated in Ohio in 2004, the Museum is a 501(3)C organization and relies on volunteers and private donors for its support. The Museum is a member of the International Network of Museums for Peace, which has members in 27 countries, including Germany, Iran, Japan, Kenya, and South Africa.